Friday, July 16, 2010

What Arthur and I Have in Common

I'm so glad. Even Arthur Levine has a hard time keeping his blog up to date. I don't know why I say "even," now that I think about it. He's an editor, a very successful editor (maybe even a Publisher? He has his own imprint, that I do know), who has a lot more to do than I do.

But I'm glad, anyway. He started off a new blog two weeks ago and hasn't visited it since. We bloggers set out with the best intentions in the world to keep posting, keep on being interesting and thought-provoking (I think that's the aim), and soon discover that it's very hard to keep up that level of commitment.

Or maybe I need a concept here ... one along the lines of the woman who cooked every recipe in Julia Child's cookbook. Her name escapes me. Julie Something.

Sorry, Julie.

What I'd doing on this last day of the 3rd week in July is thinking about beats. Those snippets of action or thought that an author uses in order to break up long passages of dialogue. It's a theatrical expression, I believe. I have nothing more profound to say about them today other than the fact that Hilary McKay, an English writer who is one of my favorite children's book authors, handles beats extremely well. Anyone trying to write would be wise to read several of her books.

Take that! she thought to her non-audience. Then clicked "Publish Post" and disappeared.

2 comments:

  1. "Ha!" said the "non-audience"-reader-of-your-blog from the corner of her dim office. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad I found your blog through Tina Tibbitts.
    Writing & living in Mississippi now. Missing SCBWI-Carolinas.

    Best.
    Lois Thompson Bartholomew

    ReplyDelete